Saturday, December 01, 2007

$1.19

That's exactly how much Christmas shopping I've done... Just so you know.

And now for something completely different.

I practiced my manual focus/open aperture photography today, measured the difference between f/1.4, 1.7, 2.0, 2.4, 2.8, 3.5... So, after taking about forty worthless pictures, I formatted the card to save time. Little did I know that the camera actually had pictures from other occasions on it. Doh. Oh well. Maybe I'll be more patient next time...

I read through the book of James in my devotions this week. My Reformation Study Bible is so incredibly sweet. The bible is really cool--understatement--because I feel like I could sit, read a verse or two, reflect about it, then read the same verse again, and reflect again in a different way. Something that caught my eye in James this week was the final section of chapter 4. Paul talks about not boasting in the future. It made me realize how fragile my future is. I'd like to graduate, go to college, get married, and get a doctorate... But how much can go wrong in 8+ years? I could die driving to church tomorrow; next week I could become paralysed from being thrown incorrectly at Karate; Next year I might not get accepted into the college I want; within the next 4 years, we may be at war with some other nation(s), and I might get drafted...

I'm a very fragile person...
Luckily I know someone who's strong enough to protect me... Even if his hands, feet, and side have been pierced.

-Wes

"Gone"--Switchfoot

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There certainly are a lot of "ifs" in life, aren't there? I thought of this verse for some reason,

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your request be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philipians 4:6-7

Anonymous said...

I love those (James) verses. I suppose there are some verses that are good because they are so convicting, and lead you to live closer to God, and then there are other verses that are good, because they are easy to live by.

The James 4 verses are in the latter category for me. I hated the question on interviews, "What is your ten year plan?" Ha ha ha. I had maybe one decent conversation after being asked that question, but most people counted that a vital question by which they decided whether I got the job or not.

I'd also throw in the end of Matthew 6 verses about not worrying - which mostly are good verses due to being easy to live by, but that hasn't always been the case, nor all of the time currently.

One friend of mine has been talking to me about taking captive every thought, and deciding if a thought is good or not by looking at the fruit that comes out of it. If the fruit is bad, throw the thought away.

yrkma: "Yrk," said Ma, as I pulled on her arm.

Author at 661 said...

I've spent eight hours of babysitting for people outside my immediate family at $5 a hour worth on Christmas presents or the things I need to make Christmas presents so far.

on photography- have you taken anything else with your dad's film or just that first batch?

That's a not so great feeling to lose pictures...

fdscze
frequently delicate savory cookies- zealously eaten

Anonymous said...

You have bought more than I have! I haven't boughten anything! I have to crochet a scarf for my aunt, and it is dragging on forever? How are your horses? Tell CJ hi for me!
~Sara G.~

Anonymous said...

Heh, what exactly did you buy with such an exact amount?


siovl-

sesquipedalian indecency offends vowel language

#387065 said...

Thanks for the comments everyone!
[I-N-H]: No, I may in the future though. technically, my pentax does everything the Nikon does. So the cost of film and developing is keeping me away.
S.G.: The horses are doing fine. They have their winter coats. They're warm, fuzzy, and DIRTY.
A: I bought.... well... It's a secret, but I did buy something.

ciwmq
Civilizations interact with missile quotas.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. Duh. Like I'm going to blast over the internet what I got for this person, especially since that person will probably read my blog. Thou art stupid, A

Missile Quotas... Were you playing half life?