Monday, May 28, 2007

Swept Away

Eyeyeyeye, what a memorial day weekend. Way too crazy to compile into one post, but I still want to make a post, so, I'll talk about Sunday.

Well, almost everyone was gone at NA, but that's alright, there were still tons of cool people to hand with, awesome worship and inspiring word to be taught from. Worship, was different from usual. Usually I can get right into sort of a worshipful mode(which tends to last into the next day. :-P) But yesterday was different: I was having a hard time. But, as we were worshipping, I prayed for a song to come along and help me forget myself and really worship. Immediately, I thought of the song "Grace Like Rain." by Todd Agnew. It's a variation on Amazing Grace with an added chorus. Lo and behold, it was the next song. God is so good isn't He.

Joel preached the final sermon of the Genesis series, and subsequently covered the life and times of Joseph. Towards the end of the sermon, Joel addressed the fact that Joseph not only forgave his brothers for their betrayal, but he invited them to live in Egypt under his personal care. This awakened the memory of one of my favorite verses, John 15:9, which says "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love." It's such a simple and small verse, but it speaks volumes of the love of Jesus, and therefore also the love of God. Jesus is not just saying, "I love you, each and every one, and I always want you to know that." It's SO MUCH MORE than that. He is expressing that we, as Christians are to abide(live, exist, stay) within his love. So, not only does Joseph mirror Christ in his mercy on his brothers, but he also mirrors Him as showing a desire to have his loved ones dwell or abide in his bountiful love. This concept isn't just a concept that Jesus presents, it's not just how Joseph lived his life, it's an over-arcing vision on the Bible. This is how the Holy Spirit reaches us, it's how we live in Christ and walk in his love: He abides in us, and we abide in his love and blessing.

So, Jesus just isn't your co-pilot, he isn't a far off wise-man who tells you to ask WWJD, and he is most certainly not the little angel that sits on your right shoulder. He is with you always, not overshadowing you, not tailing you making sure you're doing good, but abiding in you, and sanctifying you.

In utterly unrelated life news, I'm planning the first (as Dan aptly put it)"Sames's 'Come out to the farm and use all our cool stuff' Day". I'm thinking the second week in June. Look for a date in your inbox soon!

Also, it would be cool to get a group of PCOPers to go to Kennywood this summer, because SOME of us have never been there, and/or been there very rarely.


Well, with normal live done, on to music.

Today's song! Sweep Me Away, by Charlie Hall. It's a worship song with very few words, but it was presented VERY exceptionally. Charlie's Baritone voice is electronically sustained and reverbed in almost the same fashion a piano note is sustained by the sustain pedal and reverberated by the other strings. The product is a captivating and almost visual song. A hidden gem.

Uhg, the Sonata. I'm sure everyone is wondering where it is. It's here, but I had some pretty bad recording problems. First time through, I went too fast, then I messed up I don't know how many times, finally, I did the song perfectly, but the recorder stopped itself at 23 seconds (that one was really frustrating.) and at the end of my attempts I messed up the final movement. So, it's coming, give me some more time.

-Wes

No comments: