Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Ahh, more of the unsame

well, so, its Tuesday the 19th... Time for a recap.

Well, last Saturday, I went over to the Q's at around 7 for HQ's B-day party. The party was awesome, tons of people there, marshmallow roasting, chatting, football tossing, tons of random goodness. Then in an unexpected climax to a good night, I got on the trampoline with Luke Harvey... One fateful bounce, I went REALLY REALLY high, I think about 4 or so feet of the trampoline, As I came down, the first thing that hit was my eye to Luke's shoulder. I fell down in pain, I opened my eye ASAP and found that I couldn't see. This really freaked me out, I thought I had experienced a retinal detachment due to trauma. Which would mean I was blind. Thankfully, this was not the case. My eyesight was slowly returning as we made our way from the Q's house to the office. Upon getting to the office, we discovered that I was bleeding out of the conjuncivita, which is just a pressure relief system the eye uses. It basically looked like I was crying blood. So, my dad had to use numbing drops and a Q-tip to fish out the clotted blood from the side of my eye. After cleaning me up, he checked out the surface of by eye for injury, nothing found. He then checked my retina for damage, none there either. (Thank God...) And finally, he dilated my pupil to get a better look at the inside of my eye. Now, when someone gets dilated, it makes the black part of their eye, or the pupil grow large. This lets in more light than what the eye would usually allow. So, after that we headed back to the party, which at this point had dispersed. Then headed home, while I lay in the seat of the car with my eyes shut so I could block out the headlights and taillights on 51.

I awake the following morning to find that my eye is cemented shut with a ton of yellow crud. A shower cleaned that right up though. I was dismayed at the fact that all the light pouring into my still-dilated eye was really hurting. So, I dawned sunglasses and set off for church. Got quite a few questions-comments on my sunglassed appearance, but nothing too bad.

After Church I helped clean up and got in John's Mazda to head to Wendy's...I have a feeling that in that time I was in that car, my life was flashing before by eyes at several times. John, you're crazy, and if you read this, you need to know that you don't have to impress other guys by driving real crazy-like.... Well, not much happened at wendy's, John H, John B, and I went through the drivethough then parked and went inside to eat because the line inside was insane. We said our farewells to a few people, including Dan, who had to miss Frisbee to go to a College fair. Ahh well, it was ok, we survived. What followed was an insane game of Frisbee with about 25 people. Tons of running, guarding, and more running. We played for about 3 hours or so. Some sweet plays that included Justin throwing a cross-field 80 Yd. pass to Steve Schuch.... I was brought to my knees with astonishment. I think I like Frisbee games of like 7 people per team more though.

I found out some sad news on my eye on Monday, the dilation had gone down significantly since Sunday, however my left eye was still noticeably more dilated than the right. This distressed me for quite a while... I was afraid that my future wife or kids may look at me and see something like o_0 instead of o_o... But thanks to a few good friends, I was reminded that it shouldn't matter, because its not the eyes themselves, its the feelings conveyed by those eyes. Besides, I have DARK brown eyes, so its not going to be extremely noticeable. ahh, but its just a little disheartening... a permanent disfigure caused in a few sort seconds of trauma. But, God provided me with a father who's an eye doctor and thanks to him, it's not as bad as it could have been. that's all for now...

-Wes

3 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Huzzah for crazy games of frizz!! I am praying for your eye, Wes. I also agree about the driving of said Mr. Behrens. Craziness! And, yet, somehow, I'm willing to put my life on the line :-P to get to the Switchfoot concert. No showing off, John! I'd like to be alive when I come home :-P (of course, I"m jk, John)

Anonymous said...

you anit nutin but a hound dog!
Hey hey hey! I thought I made some nice plays myself sunday!
no need to worry about your eye, just keep it shut all the time.
Injurys are a bummer though...
I hate gettin dilated

am I ever more than "nothing too bad" ? I hope not, if I am, its a joke unless you just kut off my arm or something

Anonymous said...

Hmm...hope the eye gets better. I seriously doubt it'll be dilated for the rest of your life, man. Cemented with yellow crud? Sounds like my nose in the morning when I have a cold.

eeeewwwww

I'll have you know in all seriousness that I do not drive to impress people. Would you, the laws of logic and physics aside, have been in my car when I was driving home later that day by myself, you would have witnessed the same style of driving. I don't drive to impress people, I drive to get where I'm going, not crash, and enjoy driving. Most people are so used to smooth driving that a slightly aggressive turn makes them feel like they're in a fighter jet...let alone a truly tight turn. I'll tone it down for you guys in the future.

Peace

--Proud Owner of a Peppy Mazda

P.S. On a rainy day on the highway you'll be hard pressed to find someone going slower or further back than me. There are situations of real danger and risk on the road, and and there's no bs when it comes to that. Just slip once when you're braking, and you'll know what I mean.