Monday, November 28, 2005

J-town with NWCC

Mood: calm, contemplative and slightly sad

And so, the chronicles of my life continue. First thing I think I'll recount for the world to see is my trip to Jumonville.

It was a dark night of the 18th when I arrived to the refuge at Wesley hall on the grassy clear skied campus of J-town. I was greeted by the sound of an Airsoft gun firing, thankfully not at me... I had arrived about 30 or so minutes before the rest of the kids, so all the hyper college interns were having fun. This was accomplished by one of them chasing the other two with a semi-automatic airsoft gun. After the arrival and subsequent unpacking in of the High School students from NorthWay Christian Community, the mass of students migrated from the cabins to the music filled Wesley hall. I entered the doors with "Be My Escape" blasting in my eardrums, I was pleased to discover that this was no recording but a successfully played imitation by the band that was there. It was pretty awesome to see a good friend of mine and my sister's in the lead position of the band. After a few minutes of looking around and observing the crowd and listening to the speaker for the weekend, I say immediately that there wasn't much to be gained spiritually from this experience besides some good practice in tolerance and evangelism.

After the message, there was pretty much just free time for 30 minutes. Most (like myself) decided to congregate around Wesley hall. After meeting up with the few members of northway that I can consider good friends, I observed a group of about 5 girls chattering all at the same time to one of the girls. A few of the comment I caught was "come on!", "just do it!" and "GO!" after the latter comment, three of them shoved the one girl (whos back was turned to me) quite violently into ME... After making sure she wasn't going to fall, and trying to contain my surprise, I saw that the girl I had just caught was an old friend of mine from about two years before. I decided to ignore the storm of giggles and talk to her. Funny stuff, she was all frantic and embarrassed. :-P

The rest of the weekend.... For the most part was... Interesting. Lets just say it really tried my moral standards and my tolerance of blatant sin. There was this cool part when I started playing the piano after dinner once. I was playing Coldplay and various well known piano songs. at one point, I had about 15 people all around the piano. some pretty sweet stuff.

until next post. Which should be tomorrow or the next day.

-Wes

2 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

How did you evangelize in a "christian" setting like that? Was it hard to find genuine Christians, or was it just an excuse to party without much adult supervision?

Anonymous said...

sounds like a good time anyway! I hate when people seem to do stuff on a "dare" but its good you didn't mind that.